Baby, it’s cold outside!
Warm up with some hot buttered rum scented with freshly ground nutmeg.
Hot Buttered Rum
We take a few turns with the basic recipe, but if you use a tasty dark rum and add a touch of richness with some butter and spices, you have a savory winner that will blast off the winery chill!
- 4 ounces (1 stick) room-temperature unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces dark rum (Tapping House rum is one of our favorites)
- 3 cups boiling water
- Fresh orange juice
Beat butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg with a mixer on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
Combine 2 tablespoons spiced butter with 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) dark rum in each of 4 heatproof glasses. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over each, and stir. Top each with a squeeze of fresh orange juice.
Top with whipped cream and freshly grated nutmeg.